A random mental walk.

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Back on the Range

For the first time in a long time I cooked dinner.  I was going to be home before the significant other and it was going to be Swai.  (I'd normally subject the reader to a long digression about my family's involvement with food, the games we'd play in restaurants (switching seats after ordering to see how server's recorded the orders, showing our knowledge by asking for rare steaks, playing Guess the Temperature (of the fryer), etc.), but I'll make it short.

I sauteed onions and orange pepper in a little oil, then, when there appeared to be no liquid to keep the onions from browning, I added some white wine (salvaged from a department party) to poach the onions.  As the onions looked soft enough, as an unhelpful description as I could manage, I used more of the wine to rinse out a garlic-flavored pasta source jar into the pan.  I plopped the defrosted Swai on top (God bless portion control!), sprinkled some cutup yellow squash over the fish, and allowed everything to poach for a few minutes.

My brother who knows his stuff advised me that the wine wasn't even good enough to be used for cooking.  I'm sure he's correct, but the people who eat his food are laying out a minimum of $80/cover and know  the difference between world class and good. 

I was so out of practice that I didn't remember to cook the potatoes to be ready when the fish was ready.  I used the microwave to nuke some quartered red bliss potatoes.  

All in all, I can say with some assurance that, the meal was non-toxic (my highest rating).  Salad would have been nice, but there was  no salad stuff at hand.  Nobody complained.

The evidence that I am not destined to be a food photographer is shown below: 

 

No comments:

Blog Archive