A random mental walk.

Thursday, January 17, 2013

17 Hollow Way/Voyeur by Invitation

Garage and estate sales fascinate me.  Where else can you paw through or look at such intimate stuff?  (Yeah, yeah, you see it all the time on TV or at the checkout counter.  Or maybe you read a tell all book about the fiery love story between Justin the Heart Throb and Tiffany the Good Girl.  But those are celebrities, public people.  I'm talking about ordinary, or maybe not so ordinary people, but generally those whose names won't be recognized.)

A few weeks ago there was an estate sale on an estate.  Google maps put it I looked it up on the peninsula.  If you look at the map you can get some size of the estate by comparing the size of the house to the size of the grounds.
I didn't catch the name of the people who organized the sale, but they knew how to do chicken right.  Their green signs started 5 miles before the location and were located just beyond the intersections to guide you there.  I made a point of telling them that I appreciated their signage.

If nothing else, the sign on the brick pillar set the tone. 
There really wasn't much there for me.  I got a few (3) books.  The library wasn't large and seemed to have tomes on business success and romantic novels.  His and hers I'd guess.  After making quick work of the books I went looking around.

There was the usual abbreviated history electronics: VCRs, DVD players, and generations of wireless phones.  I didn't find much else of interest.  I never know whether the good stuff had been skimmed already or if the family wasn't interested in high-end cutlery and cookware.  There were several pieces of furniture which appeared extra-ordinary.  (Please take my word for it.  I left the camera in the car.)  There were a number of what appeared to be stuffed eagles.  Wasn't that illegal.

What was interesting was that I didn't have exact change so I had to wait for the guy with the "slicked-back hair".  When he appeared (and his hair didn't looked the way I expected slicked back hair to appear) I couldn't find the bill.  There I was holding 3 books and looking between the books, on the floor, searching my pockets - obviously flustered.

"Is this what you're looking for?" he asked.

I paid. He put the books in a very nice new shopping bag.  Very classy.  I then reprised my fumbling looking for the receipt.  "Is this that you're looking for?" he asked, pointing to the bill sitting in plain sight (and all alone) on the table.

"Yup." 

After I got back to the car I got my camera to take the pictures.  One of the people leaving had one of the birds.  It's OK he said, it's not a real eagle.




I looked up the property on a real estate site.  In brief, 5 bed, 6.5 bath, and $1,799,000.


No comments:

Blog Archive