A random mental walk.

Wednesday, August 05, 2020

Algorithmic Failure

Anyone who's been on the web recognizes that something is being tracked, otherwise why do the same ads for that thing keep showing up on different web sites? 

In my case I usually see ads for watches.  I often click on watch ads and announcements to see if there's something interesting.  Watch mechanisms fascinate me.  Just recently I noted that some new watches don't have crown guards.  
Ads for Rolodex model 5512 showing the crown guard



That there are watch rental web sites is fascinating.  I read a piece where a journalists felt he got an exclusive interview because the person spotted an expensive (rental) watch and deduced that the journalist was someone important/influential enough to warrant more consideration.

With that said about watches I wear one I got for $1 at a tag sale (and $10 more getting the battery replaced).  It tells time and suits me just fine. This is what it should look like, except that some of the bezel paint has flaked off mine.  (I probably could have bought one new for the same cost, but hey, I didn't know that then and I needed a watch.)

 So after that diversion about watches, what should show up as an ad on a comic site but an eBay ad for an "Advanced Aquaduck, Duck Puller Tool, Stainless Steel Tip, One Piece Shaft" a steal at a little over $50
and a "23 pcs Cup Type Aluminium Oil Filter Wrench Removal Socket Remover Tool Set Kit" for under $40.

Why?

My guess is that I was on eBay looking for something like the snow mobile boots I remembered from years ago.  Did that mark me as a man's man who needed tools?  

Perhaps you can boost your ego by searching for condominiums costing more than $2M.  My curiosity  about the cost of used Maserati resulted in those ads to popping up for several weeks.  (One of my students said, yeah, the price is reasonable, but the maintenance will kill you.  I take his word for it.)

Should we be annoyed or flattered if an algorithm is literally targeting us with ads suitable for a higher socio-economic class?  Forget about crows feet, varicose veins, and other signs of aging, Viking Cruise ads appearing in your feed signal that it's time to update your will.

.

No comments:

Blog Archive