A random mental walk.

Thursday, June 08, 2006

Career Suicide

I was trying to find the online version of an Infoworld "Off The Record" column ("Anonynmous Tales from the Front Lines") entitled "Recipe for Career Suicide". The story, describes how good programming practices got the anonymous narrator in trouble with the founder of his company. The founder and president wrote the original product code. At the time referred to in the story the president didn't realize that his own programming expertise was sadly out of date. The president reacted very badly when a client preferred the programmer's code to his.

If I had typed "Career Suicide" (with the quotes) into Infoworld's search engine, the first hit would have been the article I wanted and I wouldn't have been prompted to write this. Because I didn't include the quotes, the article I wanted didn't appear on the first page of links I was distracted by a link to eBay. EBay had auctions of recordings by a hardcore punk band named "Career Suicide", a T-shirt from their 2004 tour, and CDs with that title by Lennon Murphy.

By now we're accustomed to the inanities of automated procedures. Even so, I'll remember the page contained this link:

Looking for Career Suicide?
Find exactly what you want today.

I don't think I need help in this regard, thank you very much, but I'm saving the link just in case.
Lennon Murphy Career Suicide's eponymously named album Career Suicide T-shirt

No comments:

Blog Archive