A random mental walk.

Sunday, September 04, 2011

Sorrow and Longing /Tomorrow is a Long Time

Hearing Bob Dylan sing "Tomorrow is a Long Time" on pandora.com this afternoon transported me to ill-defined black and white images of rooms I couldn't place.  Wistful student longing, love which couldn't find a voice or a mate overwhelmed me.  What was I remembering?   There was a hollow, lost feeling in my chest.

Songs will do that to you - send you reeling back through the decades.

Pandor cited Bob Dylan's Bob Dylan's Greatest Hits Volume II as the source. Surely, that had to be wrong. The song was such a part of my growing up that I was sure it had to be on one of his albums prior to the compendium. But, no. Other than bootleg recordings, the first time his own version was released was on the compendium. The song on the sound tract of my life was sung at different times by Judy Collins, Joan Baez, Ian & Sylvia, Sandy Denny, and Rod Stewart.

How very strange and faulty is memory.  "Music is the best form of time travel." (inexcelsis17 in a comment posted for George Winston's - Colors/Dance on his Autumn album.)

No comments:

Blog Archive