A random mental walk.

Friday, April 02, 2021

Dust My Broom - Koerner, Ray, and Glover

Listening to "Dust My Broom" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcIFqnlLoQA) from the Blues, Rags and Hollers reissue (yup no Oxford comma in the title) I thought I heard and understood a lyric for the first time even though I couldn't make out the first part of stanza.  It turned out that the song was actually on their first self-issued album, but cut from the original Elektra release I bought over a half century ago. 

What you learn from a woman /who can't tell yes from no
What you learn from a letter/when she can't tell gee from haw

My head snapped up when I heard "gee from haw".  I knew the terms from driving an amateur sled dog team.  A web search will show you that the terms were used to command draft animals.

Nice to listen to hear Koerner Ray, and Glover again.

No comments:

Blog Archive