A random mental walk.

Sunday, June 12, 2011

Antinomian

One of the curses of having an academic bent is the need to know.  It doesn't rise to the level of obsession, but it is pervasive.  If I see a word I don't know, or worse, a word that I looked up previously and whose definition I am now unable to remember, I have to look it up.  

It's clear that I got sidetracked on my way to being an etymologistI try to note down where I saw the word and use the word if appropriate.  In this case, however,  I wrote "antinomian" on an envelope and only just got around to looking it up online:

antinomian   [ˌæntɪˈnəʊmɪən]
adj
(Christian Religious Writings / Theology) relating to the doctrine that by faith and the dispensation of grace a Christian is released from the obligation of adhering to any moral law.
I suspect that this applies to those who, secure in their faith, do ill to others with a clear conscience.  Suicide bombers would be the most obvious target, although it might have referred to extremists in the anti-abortion camp.

No comments:

Blog Archive