A random mental walk.

Monday, June 06, 2011

BRK-A

(This post was hanging around in drafts for about two months.  In the last trading week the stock has dropped to about $113,000.  See the post script.)

It's not everyday your stock can drop over 900 points before noon. I imagine some deep pockets repeating their mantra: "Warren isn't often wrong", but the recent business of what appears to be David Sokol's insider trading moves on Lubrizol should make the Capitalist's Woodstock, the annual Berkshire Hathaway stock holder's meeting interesting. 



Andrew Sorkin's article in today's NY Times has some questions he's ready to ask when the Oracle from Omaha opens the meeting to shareholder questions.  As an owner of BRK-B I should have a dog in this fight, but I'm content to watch the big boys duke it out.

I feel compelled to say that I got BRK-B before it split 50:1.  Watching the share price bounce around 100 points a day gave me the delusion that I was playing the capitalist game, although it was more likely that the capitalist game was playing me.  BRK-B was well down from it's $4+K price when I snapped it up. And how many shares did I get?  Well not very many, but having shares just to get the shareholder report and badge every year commands a modicum of respect when the topic of finance or investing comes up.  (Of course that modicum quickly disappears when I open my mouth and my ignorance is revealed.)

Years before, when what is now known as BRK-A was selling for ~$10K I considered buying a share with almost all my discretionary funds.  It would have been worth it, but then again, there are so many things I should have done.  (And so many I am grateful that I didn't.  Don't knock inertia.)

PS:  Warren Buffett's public inaction and statements masked the fact that he had turned over relevant information about insider trading to the SEC.  See for example corporate Compliance Insights'Was Warren Buffett’s Public Support of Sokol Appropriate?

No comments:

Blog Archive