A random mental walk.

Saturday, June 04, 2011

Wave of the Future

I was rummaging through some old stuff and came across a post card for "The Wave of the Future" (WoF) poster from High Tech Times.  I got the poster years ago.  It's around somewhere, probably still in the mailing tube. 
The cost then was $25 + $4.50 for shipping and handling.  I was surprised that I was flush enough to put up that much money.  How much more could it cost now?  I figured, what with the web being the web I'd search for High Tech Times or the WoF and pick up another one. 
The first thing I stumbled upon was the Grafikdotcom_blog post "Wave of the Future" by the person who created the graphic.  The post contained the excruciating behind the scenes details of creating the pixelation effect by hand and the never before revealed information that the the Japanese calligraphy in the top left hand corner is the name of the design company: “Grafik”.

Never content to leave well enough alone, I found a post from 2007 "Wave of the Future is now the Past" which discussed Hokusai‘s original, The Great Wave off Kanagawa, as well as the WoF. At that time it seems that the WoF poser was no longer in print.

There was a link to an online poster gallery which advertised it for $99, but they were out of stock. A business opportunity or just tough luck?

I'm going to root around to see if I can find my copy.

4 comments:

cejskyy said...

I have been searching as well.

Any luck finding any reprints of this?

scott said...

I have the print, it's framed. I'm thinking about selling it on ebay.

Anonymous said...

This is a piece of art that my husband has been looking for, for years. I would be willing to pay someone for this poster... He would be thrilled to receive this as a christmas present.

please contact me at :

jubranham@yahoo.com

ami said...

my ex has this poster which i had framed in black with a black matte and my daughter now wants one like this to adorn her room in our place.

my ex would allow her to use this picture in her room in his house but unfortunately wouldn't allow her to take the poster in my home which is where she resides primarily.

(violins, please)... is there anywhere i could purchase this poster?

ami
kulasat@yahoo.com

Blog Archive