A random mental walk.

Friday, March 02, 2012

A Cold Call

A few days ago I received a call at the office. A female voice asked me if I remembered our previous conversation. "No.", I said. "I have no recollection of ever talking to a female stock broker."

It's true. She went on to relate the date she called, her recommendation, and some personal information intended to convince me of her veracity, probably the first car I drove. (In her sales training they probably use the word "truth" instead of "veracity", but that's the way I speak.  Also, I usually lie about the car,  claiming to drive a much cooler car than I ever drove and because that information is frequently used online to establish identity. )  Would it be possible to pass along contact information from one broker to another?

"Go ahead." I said,  "Do your stuff."

"Stuff?"

"Your sales pitch."

She didn't get all huffy, but, like the pro she was, she asked, "Are you familiar with ARM Holdings, ARMH?"

I said I didn't, but just as soon as she started to explain why she thought I would make a killing because Apple was rumored to want to buy the company I interrupted. (A bad personal habit, but beating someone to the punch line to jokes is a blood sport around here.)

"Oh the ARM processor?  Yeah it's in cell phones, netbooks, and ..." I went on a bit and then asked her if she knew what percentage of Apple's income came from cell phones.

She didn't know.  (I've got a small 3-ring binder with sales calls scripts.  Scenarios where the mark has fun with the caller isn't covered.)

Only a few days before I remember seeing a pie chart of Apple's income sources (http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/microsoft-apple-and-google-where-does-the-money-come-from/4469).  I spent a few minutes giving her the benefit of my minimal analysis of Apple's finances and the limitations of the ARM processor.
 
Anyway she wanted to establish a relationship right there and then.  I suggested that she trust in the Postal Service.  (I was once advised to have those things sent via the Postal Service instead of FedEx because sending fraudulent material through the Postal Service is a federal offense.)

I'm waiting.

No comments:

Blog Archive