A random mental walk.

Sunday, March 18, 2012

The price of spending an eternity as a moth


Starting from "'It' Girls Work Both Sides of the Camera" in the Thursday Styles section of the February 16th 2012 NY Times about fashion models taking up the camera I learned about web sites/blogs streetfaces (part of Flickr), Face Hunter, Sartorialist (actually TheSartorialist) and took to the web to see for myself.

One of the first pieces of advice a novice photographer gets is to determine the point of interest.  With people, that generally means getting in close.  Looking at these fashion sites, I was struck by the fact that most of the photos are full length shots and the photos do not have the "Instamatic look" of amateur photos. 

Duh, well the photographers know what they're doing. Perhaps it's just that the subjects aren't full face facing the camera with their hands rigidly by their site, a corpse propped upright.
 For some reason this image (http://www.thesartorialist.com/photos/on-the-street-most-chic-paris/) caught my eye.  I didn't find the person or the style particularly appealing, but the comments drew my attention, especially this response to a previous comment:
Do I detect a twist of envy in some of these comments? From a Buddhist perspective, I would gladly pay the price of spending an eternity as a moth for the pleasure of being reincarnated as her boyfriend, even if just for a day. ~ j. crisp October 22, 2007 at 12:11 pm
While most comments related to the fashion I was surprised that one photo (I can no longer locate) of a young woman on a bicycle in London drew considerable criticism because she was riding without a helmet.

No comments:

Blog Archive